Sunday, May 6, 2012

And So It Begins...

I remember the moments leading up to the birth of my firstborn as one of the most surreal days of my life. I had all these months to prepare for it, but still had absolutely no idea what to expect. It was such a nervous anticipation that I hadn't experienced before with such intensity. Something so very important and life altering was about to happen.

I've had a sense of that these last few days as well. Life is certainly made in the small, common everyday ways, but then there are times like this that cut a path that look entirely different from what you ever would have expected. I know that there is so much to learn and see and begin to try to wrap my mind around, but for right now it's as if the labor pains have just started. We've spent hours on planes traveling across the world, we've been led by a sweet Korean woman running through an airport, and we've been hit in the face with foreign sounds, sites, and smells as we left the safety of the final airport. No going back.

My first night in LA, I texted a friend that I wished that I was experiencing all of this with people that I knew and loved. I wanted that comfort in the middle of something that is so ugly. It feels strange to only have snapshots of the lives of the four other people I'm with right now. I've only gotten the Cliff's notes version of how each of them got to the point that brought us all together. Discomfort, I'm learning, is good though. I'm looking forward to learning from each of these people.

I don't know what to expect right now.
All I know is that I'm here.
And I know for certain that God has brought me here.
For right now, that's enough.
Go time.

No comments: