Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Current Top Ten

I love listening to my kids sing around the house. I'm not big on kidsy songs though. My mom made the grandkids a dvd of family pictures and video with Praise Baby songs in the background, which I can handle because of it's sentimental value. I'm with my children all day long though, so if we're going to have a soundtrack for our lives, it can't be a chorus of women singing nursery songs. 

I hope this doesn't make me a bad mom.

Each time we hear a new song, Em asks what it means. I love this. Jax just closes his eyes and throws his head around. I love this too.

Here's our current top ten, along with a favorite lyric or two.

Beautiful Things by Gungor- "Could all that is lost ever be found, Could a garden come up from this ground at all...You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of the dust. You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of us. All around hope is springing up from this old ground. Out of chaos life is being found in You..."

Come By Here by Shaun Groves- "The widows need life to raise the dead and all the beggars plead for their daily bread. Oh we're all singing please, God will you come by here? Come, come and meet us here. Come and touch our tears that we may weep no more. Come, come and meet our pain, come and lift our lame that we may limp no more. Come that we may want no more."

We Will All Be Changed by Seryn- "We can shape but can't control these possibilities to grow weeds amongst the push and pull waiting on the wind to take us. We can write with ink and pen but we will sew with seeds  instead, starting with words we've said and we will all be changed..."

The Cave by Mumford & Sons- "But I will hold on hope, and I won't let you choke on the noose around your neck. And I'll find strength in pain and I will change my ways. I'll know my name as it's called again...I know my call despite my faults and despite my growing fears...So make your siren's call and sing all you want, I will not hear what you have to say..."

Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars- "Oh your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine...I don't have a choice but I still choose you."

Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons- "Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free, be more like the man you were made to be."

How He Loves by David Crowder- "And we are his portion and He is our prize, drawn to redemption by the grace in his eyes. If grace is an ocean we're all sinking."

Toes by Zac Brown Band- "Concrete and cars are their own prison bars like this life I'm living in, but the plane brought my farther, I'm surrounded by water and I'm not going back again...life is good today..."

Something Beautiful by Needtobreathe- "And the water is rising quick and for years I was scared of it. We can't be sure when it will subside but I won't leave your side..."

Dancing in the Minefields by Andrew Peterson- "'I do' are the two most famous last words, the beginning of the end, but to lose your life for another I've heard is a good place to begin 'cause the only way to find your life is to lay your own life down and I believe it's an easy price for the life that we have found. And we're dancing in the minefields, we're sailing in the storm. This is harder than we dreamed but I believe that's what the promise is for. So when I lose my way, find me. When I loose love's chains, bind me. At the end of all my faith, till the end of all my days. When I forget my name, remind me. 'Cause we bear the light of the Son of Man so there's nothing left to fear, so I'll walk with you in the shadowlands till the shadows disappear. 'Cause he promised not to leave us and his promises are true so in the face of all this chaos, baby, I can dance with you."

2 comments:

meg said...

kel, i'm with ya. i *hate* kids music (although i do love praise baby; we have the dvd and it's great snuggle-before-bedtime music) ;) i usually wonder if i'm a bad mom when we're driving in the car and i don't have ANY kids cd's... it's just my ipod or christian radio. so much else in my world revolves around bella, i figure i can still have "my" music ;)

Glimpses of Green said...

And I must say- I always thought it was strange in college when people (um, Matt) knew all the words to every Salty the Singing Songbook song...and I was very thankful to my parents that I did not. :)