Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Silver Bullets


Since I've never blogged about it before, I thought I'd share about getting pregnant with Emma (Don't worry, I'll spare you the details, haha). I ran out of birth control on a Saturday and wasn't supposed to get any refills without approval from the doctor's office, which unfortunately was closed on the weekend. So, Matt said, "Eh, why don't we just go off them." That was it. No big discussion. No anything because the next time my period came around, it didn't actually come.

Just. Like. That.

I mean, come on. Isn't it supposed to take a little effort at least? I had a dollar store pregnancy test that I had gotten from my bachelorette party two years previous that I decided to take. Imagine my surprise when there were two distinct lines. I remember freaking out a bit and calling my friend Nikki who was a new mother. I mean, what was I supposed to do?? Um, maybe call my husband. So, I called Matt at work and told him he should come home at lunch. I wanted to take a non-dollar store test, just to be sure. I bought a test and waited until Matt arrived home to take it. I did my business and promptly left the test on the bathroom counter. We were pretty sure it was going to be negative. I mean, a dollar store test gave me a positive, but there was no way we could actually be pregnant. Right? A couple minutes later I returned to check it out (Matt wouldn't). Sure enough, two distinct lines. That's when we had our "oh blankety blank" moment. We stared at each other for looong time. I seriously felt like a fifteen year old girl that had just found out that she was knocked up. I mean, I understood how it happened but just didn't really think it would happen. We were thrilled, eventually, but it took some time to get used to the idea. I mean, I had a little alien growing inside of me. At least that's how it initially felt. Of course, we can't imagine it any other way and were thrilled when Emma entered our lives.

Fast forward to now.

Matt and I had been toying with the idea of another kid. According to our timeline, it was prime-time. Was I ready? Nope. I love my life right now. I really have it made. I stay at home with Em and am surrounded by great friends that also stay home. We're literally always doing something fun. I'm finally at my pre-baby weight too. It feels so good to be back in shape and active. But, we knew we wanted a couple more kids, and a two year age difference seemed like a good idea. We decided to not-prevent. I knew what that meant, but at the same time I also knew that lots of people get pregnant right away the first time and then not so much the next time. Riiiiight. Two months ago we not-prevented (though I was out of town during the "window") and last month on the day of my period I counted out fourteen days. I told him during that ovulation window he'd get one try. Yup. One freaking try during ovulation.

This time I totally knew and started taking tests way too early, thinking that maybe I was off on when I was ovulating anyway. Nope. Saturday morning I was sitting around in D.C. with my girlfriends and took a test.

Two. Distinct. Lines.

Holy frickety-frick-frick. Once again, I was that fifteen year old girl, and again, I had to call my baby daddy to tell him I was preggo. Crraaazzzyy.

Yes, I realize that it is very early to announce this to the world, but that's okay with me. It's kind of one of those things that's our decision. So, as long as everything goes well, Baby #2 will make his/her grand entrance mid-June!!! Yeeaaayyy!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations!! Two-for-two, eh? Not bad!

Seriously, amidst a thousand little decisions I might one day wish I'd made differently with regard to our kids--things like teaching Sam my cell phone number at a young age, or exploiting my children's fear of law enforcement officials by threatening to "call the police" if they don't listen to me (I was really in a pinch!), or letting them sleep in bed with us whenever they want and never establishing a bedtime--I will always know that I did something absolutely *right* in giving them one another.

When your parents are nuts, the gift of commiseration cannot be overestimated.

Glimpses of Green said...

Thanks Susan. You were actually one of the people that came to mind when I was thinking of non-crazy people that have more than one child. You seem to handle it very well, and it gives me hope...although I've come to terms with the fact that I will have a period of insanity for a time. I'm sure it will pass just in time for us to work on #3. Ugg.

Issakainen said...

Wait... you're pregnant??