Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happy Birthday, Boo.

Today my husband enters the last year of his twenties. To him, this is a big deal. To me, not so much. I've comfortably adjusted to my thirties, so as he plans out his "Thirty by Thirty," I can just sit back and watch him squirm through the last leg of a decade that I've had the privilege of walking through with him.

How things have changed since I met that nineteen year old with floppy hair and cargo pants.

It's hard to believe where life has brought us over these past ten years together. So much has happened, but I'm so glad that we've been able to do it together. I guess I've never really understood the mentality of figuring out who you are before starting your life with someone. The twenties are such tumultuous years as it is, I can't imagine trying to figure out everything alone. The fun has come through sharing life with someone who I know has my back no matter what. I love the fact that we have a lifetime together. We don't have to set ourselves up for failure by thinking our relationship has to be perfect right now. I know how far we've come, and I hope we stay on the same trajectory. We have a great marriage, but it's come from a whole lot of hard work on both sides. I love that I married a man that is willing to grow and learn with me. The reality is, we're so different in many ways. We're not one of those couples that never has anything to talk about. In fact, it's quite the opposite. We talk. A lot. We discuss. A lot. We disagree. A lot. But we love a whole lot too, and so it works. We chose each other years ago and we continue to choose each other every day.

So thank you, babe, for dancing through life with me. Thank you for loving me and the kids with your actions. You're a great man who is fun, sincere, diligent, humble, and strong. I truly enjoy being around you. Thank you for getting up before the sun so that you can come home earlier to spend time with us at night. Thank you for cultivating relationships with those around you, even when it seems there isn't any more time that can possibly be sucked from a day. People are important and I'm glad that you strive to make them a priority. Thank you for getting down on the floor with your children and chasing them around after a long day. This time is so important. Thank you for making up stories that make them laugh. You are such a great husband and dad. I'm proud of the man you are and the man you're becoming.

I love you so much and can't wait to see what's in store for your next ten years.

No comments: