Monday, March 15, 2010

I rarely miss teaching. I don't miss grading papers, getting up ridiculously early, or having to deal with attitudes from teenagers who think the world revolves around them.

But...

As annoying as those teenagers can be, they are what I miss the most. When I was asked if I wanted to help direct the play where my husband attended high school it was a no-brainer. All the fun of being at a school with a quarter of the hassle! I would have the opportunity to be involved in theater again but with three other directors. Being the new-comer and the only one that didn't work at the school, my role was mostly supportive, which was great after the burn-out of being the sole director at my old school for four years. It's amazing what a difference being part of a team makes. With Matt in busy season it was also a great way to fill up time in those long, lonely afternoons.
Most importantly though, I was able to be involved with teens. Honestly, I didn't even realize how much I missed that until working with them again. It's easy to get caught up in everything that goes along with being a mom and over-think my place in the world when there are opportunites right in front of me. I was reminded of one of the main reasons why I wanted to teach high school in the first place. I love the age where the future still holds endless opportunity and life is either completely exciting or devastating. It's just fun to be around people who are in the stage of life that doesn't revolve around being reasonable. It was refreshing being around young people again.
And the icing on the cake? Emma got to be part of it too! It's funny how much pride you can take seeing your child do absolutely nothing on stage but look cute. Pictures to come soon...

No comments: